Saturday, September 8, 2007

whoa there, girl.

Lisa: I hate going to the zoo, I feel so sorry for all the animals.

Homer: But captivity opens up a whole new world for them! In the wilds they would never experience boredom, obesity, loss of purpose.... You know, the American Dream!




So how's my plan going to drop everything and run away to the woods?

Well, after making some very do-able (but not exactly stable) plans, I decided to revisit the urgency I was feeling to get away from civilization. I kept on getting an intuitive hit to google "how to drop out" when I came upon a link to Ran Prieur's blog. Lo and behold, he has an amazing essay called "How to Drop Out."

A quote from the introduction:
The goal is not to get out of the prison, but to get out in a way that enables you to stay out. Be patient. Think ahead. Getting free is not like walking through a magic doorway -- it's like growing a fruit tree.

Well, amen to that. And so I am now focusing on reducing my spending and consumption as a first step to dropping out. And I can still run off to the woods whenever I want - it just won't be full-time, not yet.

7 Comments:

At September 17, 2007 at 4:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, great link. Thanks!

 
At September 17, 2007 at 7:55 PM , Blogger feral femme said...

Hey there...thanks for the comment :)

I am really inspired by your blog and think you are awesome - just so you know!

(I was the commenter that asked about the link to the van/dogs post)

 
At September 17, 2007 at 8:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's one of my favorite essays too.

 
At September 17, 2007 at 9:16 PM , Blogger feral femme said...

such a good essay that I think I should re-read it once a month...

Thanks for the comment - I really enjoy your blog and forum site, and hope to be around for future meetups.

 
At November 3, 2007 at 3:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you can come check out the stuff going on up here on the Olympic peninsula. Seems like you might really click with some of the land projects, including me and my brothers. If you need to drop out and run to the woods I can try to get you intouch with some folks.

 
At November 3, 2007 at 3:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn, I tried to leave you a comment and forgot to leave my name with it. So yeah Kestrel TrollSplinter is no good with the internet manners thing, sorry.

 
At November 5, 2007 at 8:41 PM , Blogger feral femme said...

Hey Kestrel,

I would love to check out what you are all doing up north. Please keep me posted with info on gatherings :)

Btw, do you have a blog?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home